Our incredible team at 17A is powered by a range of perspectives and experiences. Through our Day in the Life series we are giving you the opportunity to get to know our core team members. Read below to learn more about our resident Chief Plant Officer / Program Lead, Jeff Huang, and what projects he’s been up to!
What does a typical workday look like for you?
- My workday depends on the projects I’m on! Sometimes it’s full of meetings, and other times, it’s a mix of self-directed research and data analysis. I’m not a big morning person, so I usually save heavy reading for later in the day when I can.
What’s a meaningful project you’ve worked on during your time here?
- My favorite project has been working with a regional Medicaid payer better support justice-involved members. I joined 17a to work on ways to better provide / direct social services for a more just and humane world, and this project has been exactly that.
What are your responsibilities as Chief Plant Officer?
- Taking care of all the office plants! Except right now, I’m on crutches and haven’t been able to make it into the office as much as I would like. So my job right now is making sure our team is taking care of the office plants while I recover.
What prepared you to take on the Chief Plant Officer role?
- My mom has always loved plants and all things nature. I never used to understand the hype around plants, but I recently got into the process of tending to them and watching them grow, once I had my own. Because of that, my mom and I are always talking plant care; she’s constantly sharing stuff with me and keeping me on my game.
Describe 17A’s culture in 3 words.
- Open-minded, curious, caring
What is your favorite 17A team tradition?
- Our in-person retreats!
What do you do for fun outside of work?
- In my free time, I’m probably doing something basketball- or music-related; right now I’m watching a ton of the NBA playoffs and am also loving being a nerd about samples and music history / influences of the music I love.